This is an extensive step-by-step guide on how to hard reset, force restart, or enter DFU/recovery mode on your iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max. Usually, people get stuck when the software update is interrupted or sometimes the software gets corrupted. Also note that these guides will work with iPhone X, XS, and XR as well. Since all of them share the same design language.
How to Hard Reset iPhone
- Quickly press and release the Volume Up button.
- Quickly press and release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears, then release the Side button.
How to Enter Recovery Mode on iPhone
Usually, we need to enter recovery because either we want to hard reset our iPhone or the software installed has been corrupted and a new OS needs to be installed so follow the below method to enter recovery mode and after which you can hard reset or install your OS.
- Connect your iPhone with the PC using your lightning cable and the latest version of iTunes.
- Launch iTunes on your PC.
- With the iPhone connected, force restarts it with the following steps but don’t release the buttons when you see the Apple logo. Instead, wait until the recovery mode screen appears.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery mode screen with the “Connect to iTunes” screen, then release it.
- Select your device in iTunes.
- A pop-up message should appear saying that your iPhone is in Recovery Mode. You’ll then be given options to update or restore your iPhone’s software.
If you want to exit recovery mode, Simply press and hold the Side button until the “Connect to iTunes” screen disappears, and your iPhone should reboot back into iOS.
Also Read: New iPhone 12 release date, price, leaks, and features
How to Enter DFU Mode on iPhone
The DFU mode stands for device firmware update mode. This is one of the last stages through which you can recover your iPhone if it’s not in a working condition. If this fails you might need to take your phone to an Apple service center. Users can hard reset using DFU mode as well, they can even install a fresh new OS on their phones to make it work properly.
- Turn on your iPhone if it isn’t already.
- Connect it to your computer using a Lightning to USB cable.
- Launch iTunes on your computer, and check that your iPhone appears in the list of devices.
- On your iPhone, press the Volume Up button immediately followed by the Volume Down button.
- Next, press and hold the Side button (or power button) until your iPhone’s screen turns black.
- Release the Side button and then hold down both the Side button and Volume Down button together for approximately five seconds.
- Now release the Side button, but continue to press the Volume Down button.
- Wait for at least five seconds for iTunes to recognize DFU recovery mode has been enabled.
On your PC a Pop-up message will be displayed saying an iPhone has been detected in recovery mode. You must restore your iPhone to use it. Click on restore it and follow the process for successfully install a new OS.
To exit DFU mode follow the below steps.
- Press the Volume Up button on your iPhone and quickly release it.
- Press the Volume Down button and release it.
- Press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears on your iPhone’s screen.
How to Force Restart your iPhone
- Press the volume up button once
- Press the volume down button once
- Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
- Keep holding even when you see Slide to Power Off
- Keep holding until you see the Apple logo
So that was all the tips and tricks on how to hard reset your iPhone, or if you want to enter DFU mode or recovery mode. This also covers the guide on how to force restart your iPhone X and later models.
More to read: